Today we pay tribute to F/Lt. Denis Parnall of 249 Squadron, who was killed in action on this day during the Battle…
New model for shared ownership - will it make it easier for people to buy more of their own home?
Thinking of setting up a business partnership? Find out how to create the best partnership here
Planning for what happens when you die - no-one wants to think about it but if you want the funeral of your wishes,…

What to do when someone dies

When a loved one dies, and you are the next of kin, there are legal formalities that must be dealt with.  Deborah Adams, head of private client department at Parnalls in Launceston explains what you should do.

Registering a death

Your first duty is to register the death.  Either the next of kin or the executors appointed in your loved one’s will can do this.  The hospital or doctor who confirmed the death will give you a medical certificate stating the cause of death.  This certificate is in a sealed envelope which you must not open.

You will then need to telephone your local Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages to make an appointment to register the death.  The death must be registered closest to the place where the death occurred.

At the end of your appointment the registrar will give you the death certificate.  It is a good idea to request a few copies of this to speed up the administration of your loved one’s estate.  The registrar will also give you a form to be completed and sent to the Department for Work and Pensions and a certificate for burial or cremation for you to give to the funeral director.

Organising a funeral

The funeral arrangements can be made by anyone in the family or by the executors if your loved one made a will.  Check personal papers to see if a will exists and if a pre-paid funeral plan has been arranged or if there are any specific funeral wishes.

Locating a will

If your loved one used a solicitor to prepare their will, the original version will usually be held by the firm of solicitors they used.

If the will was made a long time ago it is possible that the firm who prepared it may have changed name or merged with another firm.  If in doubt the local law society may be able to help you track the firm down.  Remember to check your loved one’s home, particularly if you think they may have prepared a DIY will.

If you know or suspect a will was made but you cannot find it, a solicitor can advise you on the steps you need to take to search for a missing will.



The executors have a duty to administer your loved one’s estate in accordance with their will.  Although the will gives the executors the authority to deal with the deceased’s estate, they will need to apply for a court order called a ‘grant of probate’ to be able to dispose of the assets.


Many people find it easier to instruct a solicitor to administer the estate because it can be time consuming and complicated.


A grant of probate usually takes about three months, but the entire administration process can take up to a year to complete, even in simple cases.  This is because government bodies such as the Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenue and Customs may also need to be involved.

Letters of administration

Where a will cannot be found the estate must be distributed according to the rules of intestacy.  You will need to apply for a court order, similar to a grant of probate, called a ‘grant of letters of administration’.  There is a strict order of priority as to who can apply for the grant of letters of administration.

Your solicitor will advise you on who inherits the estate and the order of entitlement when there is no will. The result may not always be what you expect. For instance, under the rules of intestacy, spouses often have to share their inheritance with children, step-children or parents-in-law.

Disputing a will

If you have concerns about the validity of a will, for example if you suspect it has been forged, tampered with or you are concerned whether it was made when your loved one was of sound mind, you should speak with a solicitor as soon as possible.  If the will is found to be invalid for any reason, any previous will or the intestacy rules will apply.

Claiming financial provision

Certain relatives and people who were financially dependent on the deceased can claim additional funds from the estate if the will, or intestacy rules, do not adequately provide for them.  If you wish to make such a claim, you should speak with a solicitor as soon as possible as strict time limits will apply.

Varying a will

If all the beneficiaries agree, the will or intestacy rules can be changed using a document called a ‘deed of variation’.  This might be done for a variety of reasons. One reason is to give effect to an agreement reached between the beneficiaries following a dispute or claim.  The usual reason, however, is to maximise the use of personal allowances to save inheritance tax.  A deed of variation must be completed within two years of death.

For more information on getting probate, a grant of letters of administration or making a will, please contact Deborah Adams, head of private client department at Parnalls on 01566 772375 or email


Has your personal information been shared without your permission?

Planning your escape to the country, what you need to consider – part 2

Government consultation on new national model for shared ownership

Choosing a partnership structure

Planning for what happens when you die by Deborah Adams

Changes to legislation could offer protection for tenants in the private rental sector

Move to the country - Part One

The risks of DIY probate

Will your septic tank still be legal in January?

The death knell for ‘kiss and tell’?

Making a will when you retire

Selling your property at auction

Not looking so good - your guide to compensation for botched non-surgical cosmetic procedures

New threshold of seriousness in defamation proceedings

Legal considerations when building a granny annex

Choosing the right person for your power of attorney

Formal Interviews - Do you need legal representation?

Privacy rights and aerial images

Trustees’ duty to give information to beneficiaries

Five problems with a leasehold property

Taking your first commercial lease

Is your organisation protected from employee social media legal risk?

Have you been targeted by negative social media posts?

Farmers be alert when being inspected

Help for House Sellers?

Don’t let your digital assets end up in a digital grave

Valuing an estate for probate

Development proposals and your local authority search

What can you do if your child is injured in a serious accident

NetRights welcomes new protection for social media users


Supreme Court recognises that social media is a “casual medium” in libel battle

Choosing the best conveyancer who is right for you

Making a will after a second or subsequent marriage

Option or promotion agreement – which is best for landowners?

Anonymous pub and restaurant online reviews leave a bad taste

Have you had an accident involving a horse?

Help to Buy – beware of some cracks in the structure

Understanding Lasting Powers of Attorney

Changes to Energy Performance Certificate for Landlords

Had a cycling accident? Your route to obtaining compensation

New year, new home: tips to sell your home in the New Year 

Tax Planning for your inheritance

Hearing loss: when your employer may be liable

Buying a home for your retirement, five things you need to consider

Farmers plan to diversify after Brexit

Ministers press ahead with probate fee shake-up - reports BBC News

Botched dental treatment? You may be entitled to compensation

Why a Health and Welfare Power of Attorney is a good idea

Will the new charge on building developments in Cornwall affect you?

Energy Performance Certificates – Do They Matter?

HMRC Challenging Stamp Duty Land Tax Payments

Ben Mitchell qualifies as a solicitor

The potential implications of Brexit on employment law

Appointing a guardian for your children

Houses in multiple occupation – new rules from October 2018

New Agriculture Bill published

Will Brexit affect my pension?

Dreaming of a holiday home? Sort out the legals before putting your feet up

Lasting Power of Attorney by Deborah Adams

Settled status after Brexit by Alexis Hager

How to choose an executor to administer your estate when you die

How overage agreements can boost profits from your land

Top tips for first-time buyers

How Could Brexit Affect My Farm?

Wills & Succession in Spain by Deborah Adams

Brexit ­– an international and local view by Alexis Hager, Litigation

Capital gains tax - important facts for non-residents of the UK

Buying a home: the importance of making sure the seller is entitled to sell

Changing a will after someone has died: it is possible and it could save you money

Your responsibilities when you have people working in your home

Sad passing of Battle of Britain pilot who served with Parnall family member

Considerations when buying a heritage property

Disciplinary proceedings at work: guide for employers

Employers should have a disciplinary process in place, but just following this may not be enough to avoid falling foul of the law and exposing yourself to the risk of an employment tribunal claim.

Selling your land through a conditional contract

Why you should always use a solicitor to prepare your will

Putting your legal affairs in order

How to extend a lease on a flat or buy a share of the freehold

Delayed Health Checks

New Marketing Team at Parnalls Solicitors Ltd

Social media: snooping in the recruitment process

A landlord's guide to tenant alterations

Equity release, your questions answered

Short term lettings: avoiding the pitfalls

How to apply for a grant of probate

Are you entitled to a fee refund for your Lasting Power of Attorney?

What to do when someone dies

Business disputes: can they ever be avoided?

Accident at work: what to do and when if you have been injured

Director appointment

What type of will do I need?

Business rates: a financial ticking time bomb (Part 2)

Conveyancing quotes: what you need to know

New appointment in Litigation

Property boundaries and rights of access: what are they and why do they matter?

Mental Health - we can get you the help you need

Business rates: a financial ticking time bomb (Part 1)

Leaving a gift to charity in your will

Parnalls helps two leading Devon organic meat companies to become one

Katherine Flashman Kitson is appointed Governor of St Joseph's School, Launceston

Financing your home purchase (Part 2)

New rules on debt recovery may delay payment of consumer debts

Making financial gifts during your lifetime (Part 2)

Our Guide to Lasting Powers of Attorney for Your Business Interests

Financing your home purchase (Part 1)

Careless replies to pre-contract commercial property enquiries could land you in trouble

Making financial gifts during your lifetime (Part 1)

Property referrals and recommendations - what to consider

World Alzheimer’s Day: Three-step plan to get your legal affairs in order

Legal considerations when setting up a business (Part 2)

How to avoid falling victim to property fraud

What are the key terms that need to be covered in a commercial lease? Part 3

Top 10 reasons to use a solicitor to make your lasting power of attorney

What legal considerations do I need to think about when setting up a business? (Part 1)

Why you need to update your will as soon as you decide to separate or divorce

What are the key terms that need to be covered in a commercial lease?  Part 2

The Bank of Mum and Dad: top tips when lending money to your children  


The importance of insurance when life trips you up

The role of a court appointed deputy

What are the key terms that need to be covered in a commercial lease?

Ten common debt recovery mistakes

How do I know if my relative has the mental capacity to make a will?

Motorcycle accidents - what to consider when claiming compensation

Top tips for pushing your house purchase through as quickly as possible

How does the new inheritance tax perk work?

The ultimate personal injury and accident claim checklist

Jargon-busting guide to Lasting Power of Attorney

10 reasons to appoint a Personal Injury solicitor

What happens when mum or dad are ill and can’t make decisions?

How firms can take advantage of the rise of alternative finance

Should Stamp Duty be abolished?

Teenager paralysed after falling off a horse awarded £3 million in compensation

RBS to pay investors £800 million

Not happy with your accident claim lawyers?

Parnalls expands its litigation team

Hard work pays off for our Trainee Legal Executive.

Katherine Scott Flashman Kitson celebrates 20 years

How will the new Residence Nil Rate Band (RNRB) affect you?

Exciting new business hub unveiled in North Cornwall

Be careful what you post on Facebook

Parnalls rolls out the support at Wadebridge Wheels

New trainee solicitor appointed

Mark Parnall comments on Brexit in The Law Society Gazette