Today we pay tribute to F/Lt. Denis Parnall of 249 Squadron, who was killed in action on this day during the Battle…
New model for shared ownership - will it make it easier for people to buy more of their own home?
Thinking of setting up a business partnership? Find out how to create the best partnership here
Planning for what happens when you die - no-one wants to think about it but if you want the funeral of your wishes,…

What can you do if your child is injured in a serious accident

Children’s birthday parties have become big business over the last few years and the type of events available offer ever more adrenaline-fueled activities. Gone are the days of a quick game of pass the parcel: these days sumo suits, laser shoots, go-karting and even crazy golf are all regularly featured on the birthday invitation.

However, as the high-octane thrills of children’s parties have increased so too has the risk of something going wrong and a child being injured. The possibility of this happening, and the child being entitled to claim compensation as a result, was underlined recently by a court ruling that held the host of a 10th birthday party liable to pay substantial compensation to a child who was blinded at the party when he was struck in the face by a golf club.

Fortunately, incidents like this are relatively rare and usually when a child is injured they suffer nothing more than a grazed knee or a bump on the head from which they quickly recover. However, when the injury is more serious the question of legal responsibility may need to be considered, particularly if there are long-term implications.

Katherine Flashman Kitson, Director of Litigation at Parnalls Solicitors explains more.

‘The parents or guardians of any child who suffers a serious injury at a children’s birthday party will need to consider whether the child might be entitled to compensation. This is not something you can do alone – specialist advice from a personal injury lawyer will be required, together with a medical opinion.’

So, what steps should you take in the immediate aftermath of an accident to ensure you have everything your lawyer and a medical expert will need to assess your case?

Step 1: seek medical advice and gather evidence

Health issues associated with the injury could take time to emerge, so even if your child appears to be fine in the immediate aftermath of the incident, as a matter of course you should:

• take photographs of the scene of the accident;
• inform the host and the event organiser;
• fill out an accident report form if one is available and include a brief description of the injuries;
• seek medical treatment and take (or request a copy) of any treatment notes; and
• consult a specialist personal injury lawyer as soon as practicable.

Step 2: consider making a legal claim

With the help of your lawyer you need to decide whether to make a compensation claim. Although it is your child who has been injured it will be you, or another family member or friend, who will have to make decisions on their behalf acting as what is known as their ‘litigation friend.’

The time limit for making a personal injury claim is normally three years, but for children the time limit does not start to run until the child reaches the age of 18, meaning that in effect they have until they turn 21 to make a claim. However, it is always advisable to make a claim as soon as possible while events are still fresh in everyone’s mind.

Your lawyer will talk you through the claims process and explain your options. They will also advise you on whether any offer of compensation the host or their insurer’s might make should be accepted or not.

As Katherine explains:

‘It will be your lawyer’s job to establish how the accident happened, whether your child was being supervised at the time and whether the activity they were taking part in had been properly risk assessed. Where fault is established your lawyer will determine who is legally responsible, which may be the parents who were hosting the party or, if it was an organised event, the event’s company.’

‘People coming to see me often worry about how the host of a party will pay for any compensation their child may be entitled to, but in the majority of cases this should not be a concern because most people have insurance’.

‘Another worry is how the parent of a child will fund a personal injury claim, but again this is not something to be too concerned about as claims can often be funded under what is known as a ‘conditional fee agreement’ which means that there is no financial risk to you if the claim is unsuccessful.’

If you need assistance with a child’s injury claim, or any other personal injury matter, please contact Katherine Flashman Kitson, Director of Litigation on 01566 772375 or email
The contents of this article are for the purposes of general awareness only. The law may have changed since this article was published. Readers should take appropriate professional advice upon their own particular circumstances.


Has your personal information been shared without your permission?

Planning your escape to the country, what you need to consider – part 2

Government consultation on new national model for shared ownership

Choosing a partnership structure

Planning for what happens when you die by Deborah Adams

Changes to legislation could offer protection for tenants in the private rental sector

Move to the country - Part One

The risks of DIY probate

Will your septic tank still be legal in January?

The death knell for ‘kiss and tell’?

Making a will when you retire

Selling your property at auction

Not looking so good - your guide to compensation for botched non-surgical cosmetic procedures

New threshold of seriousness in defamation proceedings

Legal considerations when building a granny annex

Choosing the right person for your power of attorney

Formal Interviews - Do you need legal representation?

Privacy rights and aerial images

Trustees’ duty to give information to beneficiaries

Five problems with a leasehold property

Taking your first commercial lease

Is your organisation protected from employee social media legal risk?

Have you been targeted by negative social media posts?

Farmers be alert when being inspected

Help for House Sellers?

Don’t let your digital assets end up in a digital grave

Valuing an estate for probate

Development proposals and your local authority search

What can you do if your child is injured in a serious accident

NetRights welcomes new protection for social media users


Supreme Court recognises that social media is a “casual medium” in libel battle

Choosing the best conveyancer who is right for you

Making a will after a second or subsequent marriage

Option or promotion agreement – which is best for landowners?

Anonymous pub and restaurant online reviews leave a bad taste

Have you had an accident involving a horse?

Help to Buy – beware of some cracks in the structure

Understanding Lasting Powers of Attorney

Changes to Energy Performance Certificate for Landlords

Had a cycling accident? Your route to obtaining compensation

New year, new home: tips to sell your home in the New Year 

Tax Planning for your inheritance

Hearing loss: when your employer may be liable

Buying a home for your retirement, five things you need to consider

Farmers plan to diversify after Brexit

Ministers press ahead with probate fee shake-up - reports BBC News

Botched dental treatment? You may be entitled to compensation

Why a Health and Welfare Power of Attorney is a good idea

Will the new charge on building developments in Cornwall affect you?

Energy Performance Certificates – Do They Matter?

HMRC Challenging Stamp Duty Land Tax Payments

Ben Mitchell qualifies as a solicitor

The potential implications of Brexit on employment law

Appointing a guardian for your children

Houses in multiple occupation – new rules from October 2018

New Agriculture Bill published

Will Brexit affect my pension?

Dreaming of a holiday home? Sort out the legals before putting your feet up

Lasting Power of Attorney by Deborah Adams

Settled status after Brexit by Alexis Hager

How to choose an executor to administer your estate when you die

How overage agreements can boost profits from your land

Top tips for first-time buyers

How Could Brexit Affect My Farm?

Wills & Succession in Spain by Deborah Adams

Brexit ­– an international and local view by Alexis Hager, Litigation

Capital gains tax - important facts for non-residents of the UK

Buying a home: the importance of making sure the seller is entitled to sell

Changing a will after someone has died: it is possible and it could save you money

Your responsibilities when you have people working in your home

Sad passing of Battle of Britain pilot who served with Parnall family member

Considerations when buying a heritage property

Disciplinary proceedings at work: guide for employers

Employers should have a disciplinary process in place, but just following this may not be enough to avoid falling foul of the law and exposing yourself to the risk of an employment tribunal claim.

Selling your land through a conditional contract

Why you should always use a solicitor to prepare your will

Putting your legal affairs in order

How to extend a lease on a flat or buy a share of the freehold

Delayed Health Checks

New Marketing Team at Parnalls Solicitors Ltd

Social media: snooping in the recruitment process

A landlord's guide to tenant alterations

Equity release, your questions answered

Short term lettings: avoiding the pitfalls

How to apply for a grant of probate

Are you entitled to a fee refund for your Lasting Power of Attorney?

What to do when someone dies

Business disputes: can they ever be avoided?

Accident at work: what to do and when if you have been injured

Director appointment

What type of will do I need?

Business rates: a financial ticking time bomb (Part 2)

Conveyancing quotes: what you need to know

New appointment in Litigation

Property boundaries and rights of access: what are they and why do they matter?

Mental Health - we can get you the help you need

Business rates: a financial ticking time bomb (Part 1)

Leaving a gift to charity in your will

Parnalls helps two leading Devon organic meat companies to become one

Katherine Flashman Kitson is appointed Governor of St Joseph's School, Launceston

Financing your home purchase (Part 2)

New rules on debt recovery may delay payment of consumer debts

Making financial gifts during your lifetime (Part 2)

Our Guide to Lasting Powers of Attorney for Your Business Interests

Financing your home purchase (Part 1)

Careless replies to pre-contract commercial property enquiries could land you in trouble

Making financial gifts during your lifetime (Part 1)

Property referrals and recommendations - what to consider

World Alzheimer’s Day: Three-step plan to get your legal affairs in order

Legal considerations when setting up a business (Part 2)

How to avoid falling victim to property fraud

What are the key terms that need to be covered in a commercial lease? Part 3

Top 10 reasons to use a solicitor to make your lasting power of attorney

What legal considerations do I need to think about when setting up a business? (Part 1)

Why you need to update your will as soon as you decide to separate or divorce

What are the key terms that need to be covered in a commercial lease?  Part 2

The Bank of Mum and Dad: top tips when lending money to your children  


The importance of insurance when life trips you up

The role of a court appointed deputy

What are the key terms that need to be covered in a commercial lease?

Ten common debt recovery mistakes

How do I know if my relative has the mental capacity to make a will?

Motorcycle accidents - what to consider when claiming compensation

Top tips for pushing your house purchase through as quickly as possible

How does the new inheritance tax perk work?

The ultimate personal injury and accident claim checklist

Jargon-busting guide to Lasting Power of Attorney

10 reasons to appoint a Personal Injury solicitor

What happens when mum or dad are ill and can’t make decisions?

How firms can take advantage of the rise of alternative finance

Should Stamp Duty be abolished?

Teenager paralysed after falling off a horse awarded £3 million in compensation

RBS to pay investors £800 million

Not happy with your accident claim lawyers?

Parnalls expands its litigation team

Hard work pays off for our Trainee Legal Executive.

Katherine Scott Flashman Kitson celebrates 20 years

How will the new Residence Nil Rate Band (RNRB) affect you?

Exciting new business hub unveiled in North Cornwall

Be careful what you post on Facebook

Parnalls rolls out the support at Wadebridge Wheels

New trainee solicitor appointed

Mark Parnall comments on Brexit in The Law Society Gazette