Parnalls has a long tradition of providing legal services in the West Country.
The Parnall family name has a long association with the West Country and this is not confined to the legal arena. Well recognised Parnall family endeavours include manufacturing shop-fittings and weights and measures with Parnall & Sons, and an impressive large-scale business building Parnall production aircraft and aeronautical parts during the First World War and beyond with Parnall Aircraft Ltd. Throughout all of this time the Solicitors’ practice has endured.
1920s to 1950s
From the 1920s to the 1950s several amalgamations of local solicitors firms took place, with the Parnall family always central to the firm. In 1931 Roger Mountjoy Braddon Parnall joined the practice which eventually became Graham White & Co, later expanding out to include Marsack and Co of Callington and Day Mitchell & Co of Holsworthy.
The Second World War pulled the family apart into military roles for its duration with the notable exception of Denis Parnall, who was killed during the Battle of Britain whilst serving in 249 Squadron, North Weald. His brother, Alan, became the Air Attache to Chiang Kia-Shek and was seconded to the Chinese Army for duration of the war. Roger Parnall took a role as a fighter controller and was stationed in Malta, Sicily and Italy. In 1945 he was demobbed and returned to his firm.
The Development Of The Firm
During this tumultuous period the business was carried on by Mr Wilson, who undertook key public duties as Superintendent Registrar, Clerk to the Justices and similar appointments. In 1946, following Roger’s return, the firm was joined by Harry Peter Godwin, who had spent most of the war in a Japanese Prisoner of War camp and completed his examinations while still a P.O.W., courtesy of the Red Cross.
They renamed the firm Wilson, Parnall and Godwin. Roger’s son, John Hugh Braddon Parnall, qualified in 1959 and became a Partner. By 1960 Roger Parnall was Clerk to the Justices for Station for Bude and offices in both Launceston and Bude were thriving.
In 1963 George Wilson died and the firm merged with Jones and Chegwin of Bude, becoming Parnall, Godwin and Chegwin. Paul Finn joined the firm and he headed up the Bude office while John Parnall returned to the Launceston office full-time.
The following generation also went into Law and by 1982 Jonathan Roger Braddon Parnall and Robert Mark Braddon Parnall had become Partners. In 1982 Eric Chegwin died and shortly afterwards, in 1983, Harry Godwin retired.
A New Era
By 1996 a new era was upon the firm. Katherine Parnall joined as a Partner, and it changed its name to “Parnalls”. In 2001 the firm incorporated to become Parnalls Solicitors Limited.
The firm is proud to have represented generation after generation of local people and continues to place relationships with West Country families at the heart of its practice as well as reaching out to further afield. Old and new clients alike continue to depend on Parnalls, decade in, decade out, for excellent legal advice and representation.