Mark Parnall, Director @Parnalls writes for the @CLAsouthwest news
RT @KatherineKitson: Sun lower, light softer, shadows lengthening. Lady Autumn we will welcome you. #Autumn #Cornwall #SolicitorCornwall h…
Today at Parnalls we've been enjoying #NationalCreamTeaDay . All money raised will be given to CHICK'S children's c…
It's beautiful sunshine in Launceston today. #FridayFeeling #happyweekend #sunshine @Parnalls

Property referrals and recommendations - what to consider

Purchasing a property is often a daunting prospect for many, especially if you are a first time buyer. Buyers are often led by their Estate Agents whom they put their trust in and when presented with a Conveyancing Estimate, may feel obliged to use the services of the Agent’s suggested Solicitor. Very often, such recommendations are not actually based on merit or the level of service provided. Many agents have paid referral schemes and suchlike – hence their recommendation. Firms often feel that such schemes are a necessary way of obtaining work and rely hugely on the agents.


Being a long established firm of solicitors, we pride ourselves on service and do not become involved in such referral schemes, preferring to keep our true independence. Many of our new clients are those that have been recommended to us by existing clients of the firm. These are recommendations on merit, not paid referrals.  Any recommendations we receive from agents are on merit as they are keen for us to be instructed to assist with the progress of a sale and for our ease of contact. As a firm, we are passionate in offering a personal approach to our clients rather than the online virtual approach that is seen today in many modern firms.


Buyers are also often led by their brokers who regularly advise their clients that they cannot use the services of certain firms because they are not on the lender’s panel. Again, buyers put their trust in their broker and often change solicitors for this reason. A solicitor not being on a lender’s panel should never be a stumbling block for a potential buyer as very often a simple application can be made and within as little as twenty four hours we can be added onto a panel.


Buyers have the freedom to choose their own solicitors and should not feel pressured or influenced by their Estate Agent or Broker. If in doubt as to whether we are on the panel of your chosen lender, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Conveyancing Department who can confirm this for you and, if necessary, arrange for a panel application to be made.


For more information on purchasing a property, please contact Claire Wicks on  01566 772375 or email



Property referrals and recommendations - what to consider

World Alzheimer’s Day: Three-step plan to get your legal affairs in order

Legal considerations when setting up a business (Part 2)

How to avoid falling victim to property fraud

What are the key terms that need to be covered in a commercial lease? Part 3

Top 10 reasons to use a solicitor to make your lasting power of attorney

What legal considerations do I need to think about when setting up a business? (Part 1)

Why you need to update your will as soon as you decide to separate or divorce

What are the key terms that need to be covered in a commercial lease?  Part 2

The Bank of Mum and Dad: top tips when lending money to your children  


The importance of insurance when life trips you up

The role of a court appointed deputy

What are the key terms that need to be covered in a commercial lease?

Ten common debt recovery mistakes

How do I know if my relative has the mental capacity to make a will?

Motorcycle accidents - what to consider when claiming compensation

Top tips for pushing your house purchase through as quickly as possible

How does the new inheritance tax perk work?

The ultimate personal injury and accident claim checklist

Jargon-busting guide to Lasting Power of Attorney

10 reasons to appoint a Personal Injury solicitor

What happens when mum or dad are ill and can’t make decisions?

How firms can take advantage of the rise of alternative finance

Should Stamp Duty be abolished?

Teenager paralysed after falling off a horse awarded £3 million in compensation

RBS to pay investors £800 million

Not happy with your accident claim lawyers?

Parnalls expands its litigation team

Hard work pays off for our Trainee Legal Executive.

Katherine Scott Flashman Kitson celebrates 20 years

How will the new Residence Nil Rate Band (RNRB) affect you?

Exciting new business hub unveiled in North Cornwall

Be careful what you post on Facebook

Parnalls rolls out the support at Wadebridge Wheels

New trainee solicitor appointed

Mark Parnall comments on Brexit in The Law Society Gazette